- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

26 January 2012

The Night Owl

It's a public holiday tomorrow (...err today)

There's no need to wake early or rush about anywhere. And
Ari's in holiday mode at the moment. He'll most probably sleep 
in for a bit.  So I've been burning the midnight oil once again.

Two large folksy owl cushions in need of some stitching

It is in the early morning hours, when all is at rest, that my head buzzes
with ideas. When finally, I have time to completely focus on my art and 
immerse myself in my work, the studio becomes quite a hive of activity.

I've been playing around with colours & patterns tonight/this morning.

I find that I am moving away from the gelati brights of the 60s and 70s 
and toward a more muted, off-beat palette. I've been looking at 30s and 
40s designs lately. Dada, Bauhaus, Art Deco, Depression Era, Wartime...
these eras are beginning to influence my craft making as well as my art.

This is the current view from a tidy corner of my worktable 

And I do love the way form, shapes and geometric pattern 
are used in the designs of those eras. So inspiring.

Later on today, whilst much of Australia celebrates 'Invasion Day', we 
plan to head on over to Artplay & try our hand at stop motion animation.

It sounds like it should be fun! Take a peek here.

2 comments:

  1. cute!! those owls are really well made =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why, thank you kindly!
    I'm that glad you like them. x

    ReplyDelete